Sunday, March 9, 2014

GREEN Art Challenge


It's the time of year for the color
GREEN!

Before long, (if you live in the northern hemisphere, that is) 
the earth will be transforming from the dull 
browns and grays of winter to shiny fresh-washed greens.

After the winter we've had in the northern US
I'm longing for not only springtime, but full-blown summer. 
(And I promise not to complain when the thermometer reaches 90°!)
Summer is always saturated with greenery here in the 
Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.

I think green is a favorite color of many artists. 


Fat Cat
Mary Ogle




Spirit of Spring
by Alphonse Mucha



Mud Maiden
Lost Gardens of Heligan, Cornwall, England
Amazing. She looks like she's been sleeping here for hundreds of years!


In a few days, we'll be celebrating St. Patrick's Day.
Saint Patrick's color was originally blue, not green, say historians. 
St. Patrick's blue, a lighter shade,  can still be seen on ancient Irish flags 
and was used on armbands and flags by members of the Irish Citizen Army, 
whose 1916 Easter Rising attempted to end British rule. But the use of green 
on St. Patrick's Day began during the 1798 Irish Rebellion, when the clover 
became a symbol of nationalism and the “wearing of the green” on lapels 
became regular practice. The green soon spread to uniforms as well. 
That evolution, combined with the idea of Ireland's lush green fields, 
eventually made blue a thing of the past. (www.time.com)

 I hope you've been inspired by some of these green images.

Is green one of your favorite colors?
What do you associate with green besides Spring and St. Patrick?

It's sometimes the color of money.

And of course so many of us try to live a green lifestyle.


I can't wait to see your creative GREEN art
in any style or medium you choose.

Link up below by Sunday, March 16 at noon EDT.
(I'm so happy to be able to say eastern DAYLIGHT time ~
The days are getting longer as well as greener!)

Have fun, and have a safe and happy St. Patrick's Day! 

~ Maggie


_______________________________________


4 comments:

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

When the Mountain Laurel begins to bloom in my garden, I know Spring is coming. Blessings!

Lou Anne Hazel said...

Maggie, I love the artwork you chose for this theme. Green is my favorite color and I love St. Patrick's Day so I created a mini-kit freebie for everyone.

Linda said...

Love the Spirit of Spring painting. Happy St Patty's weekend!

lorik said...

Oops...sorry just realised I had already put a pic in this challenge. Didn't notice until I began visiting others and seeing I had already made a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...